Saturday, February 23, 2008

Dell PCs - Homeland Security Keyloggers


Big Brother is indeed watching you, my friends. Do you have a Dell(God, I hope not) One man found a keylogger connected to the integrated Ethernet board of his Dell PC. He spoke to Dell and wrote to Homeland Security. You'll be amazed by their reply.

He states, " I was opening up my almost brand new Dell 600m laptop, to replace a broken
PCMCIA slot riser on the motherboard. As soon as I got the keyboard off, I
noticed a small cable running from the keyboard connection underneath a piece of
metal protecting the motherboard. I figured "No Big Deal", and continued
with the dissasembly. Being an EE by trade, this piqued my
curiosity considerably. On one side of the board, one Atmel AT45D041A four megabit Flash memory chip."

What could this mean? I called Dell tech support about
it, and they said, and I quote, "The intregrated service tag identifier is there
for assisting customers in the event of lost or misplaced personal information."
He then hung up. A little more research, and I found that that board
spliced in between the keyboard and the ethernet chip is little more than a Keyghost hardware keylogger. I
called the police, as having a keylogger unknown to me in my laptop is a serious
offense. They told me to call the Department of Homeland Security. At this
point, I am in disbelief. Why would the DHS have a keylogger in my laptop? It
was surreal. they told me to submit a Freedom of
Information Act request. This is what I got back:

No comments: